The leading wagon is 8.50 m long and weighs 6100 Kg. It was built by the Sebastian Wagon Company of New York. The decoration was carved by S.A. Robb, the supplier of gigantic signs in wood for the tobacco industry. It symbolically displays the two hemispheres of the globe, Western on left side and Eastern on right side.
The bandwagon is pulled by forty horses four abreast, a considerable team that was not needed for the effort but rather for the spectacular effect as it is likely that three elephants would have sufficed. A considerable strength was nevertheless required to hold the 32 Kg reins throughout the parade : this driving role is entrusted to the giant performer of the circus, Jack Posey.
The bandwagon was later used in the traveling parades of the circus. This activity was terminated in 1918 with the excuse of the obstacles brought in the streets by the power cables but also because the cities did not welcome any more the damage to asphalt and paving caused by this entertainment from another time.
Most of these cumbersome carriages have disappeared. Fortunately, the wagon with the two hemispheres survives in good condition. It is listed with a $ 200K opening bid by Heritage in Dallas on May 14, lot 42196.
SOLD for $ 250K including premium