The W150 chassis introduced in 1938 offers the ultimate achievement of that range, with the brand's technological advances and the enormous power of its engine. The model reference remains unchanged. Four types of bodywork are offered by Sindelfingen without the possibility of buying a bare chassis. The 770 is intended for heads of state and officials and its price does not appear in the catalog. 88 units of the super Mercedes in W150 chassis are delivered between 1938 and 1944.
Through his chauffeur, Chancellor Hitler ordered in September 1938 one of the first 770K W150 Grosser Offener Tourenwagen, to serve as the fourth parade car for the use of his guests. The car delivered in July 1939 includes reinforced security features such as the bulletproof windshield or the armored rear panel to be raised in case of danger.
This car is used in four important parades including Mussolini's state visit at Munich in June 1940. From 1943 its use by the Nazi regime is not known. Caught by the American forces, it is presented circa 1949 to the Veterans of Foreign Wars who use it during a few years in parades.
This fourth Führer-car will be sold on January 17 in Scottsdale by Worldwide Auctioneers, lot 62.